Parent Guide to Troop 121

What is Scouts BSA?

Scouts BSA is the traditional Scouting experience for boys and girls. Scouts can have their share of adventure in the great outdoors, develop a love of service by volunteering in the community, boost leadership skills through fun and exciting challenges, and create memories of a lifetime. No prior Scouting experience required!

Scouting is a youth-led activity, with significant support from adults. That means youth work together to plan, organize, and pursue the goals that they set. Adults supervise, mentor the youth, and work to keep them safe, but the goal is to let youth take the lead. 

How can my child join Scout Troop 121?

Please fill out an online application at , or click on the below links.

Troop 7121 (boys):

Troop 9121 (girls):

You can also stop by a meeting and pick up a printed application. We meet every Tuesday at 7pm at the Lions Hall: 4110 Cherry Ave NE, Keizer, OR 97303

What do Scouts do?

Members of Troop 121 meet every Tuesday evening to build skills and learn to work together. The troop goes on a campout almost every month. Every year, the troop goes to a weeklong summer camp together. The troop also organizes community service, day hikes, and other events when possible. 

How old do Scouts need to be?

Boys and girls can join Scouts BSA if they: 

What does it cost?

How is it organized? 

Scouts are assigned or choose a patrol, a group of about five Scouts. Each patrol elects a fellow Scout as Patrol Leader, and each patrol has an adult Assistant Scoutmaster who mentors that patrol. 

The Scouts also elect a Senior Patrol Leader, who provides youth leadership for the troop. The Scoutmaster advises and provides educational leadership for the troop. 

Parents can join the committee to raise funds and support the troop. Roles in the committee include chair, treasurer, secretary, fundraising coordinator, planning coordinator, training coordinator, and membership coordinator.

What do parents do?

Parents can be as involved as much or as little as they like. There is always a need for volunteers willing to serve in various roles in the troop, but it’s not required. If you’re interested in volunteering, join us at a monthly committee meeting. Parents can serve in positions after completing a background check and taking appropriate training. 

Our Troop committee meets on the 3rd Thursday of every month from 6:30p - 8:30p. Details of location can be found on the Troop Calendar. We usually meet at a member's home and have dinner.

In order to join us on any overnight campouts, ALL adults must be registered with the BSA and take the Youth Protection Training. Cost to register as an adult is $85 per year.

How will I learn about activities?

There are two email lists that parents should sign up for. One is a group email that allows parents to discuss events and other Troop-related issues: Another is automated announcements about upcoming events:

The public email address for inquiries is

An online calendar lists upcoming events at

What does a Scout need?

To learn and earn their next rank, Scouts need certain items. These are available at the Nor’West Scout Shop in Portland. 

There are 10 Essentials that every Scout needs to have for all campouts:

Scouts will need some personal equipment for campouts and hikes:

For cold weather

The troop provides items used in common, like tents and cooking gear.

What is Youth Protection training?

Youth Protection training is required for all BSA registered volunteers. Adults must complete the training before they can join. Youth Protection training must be taken every two years. If a volunteer’s Youth Protection training record is not current at the time of recharter, the volunteer will not be re-registered.

To take Youth Protection training go to and create an account. There is no cost for the training and you do not have to be a registered member to take the training.

What are medical forms?

Our priority is to keep Scouts safe and healthy. All participants in basic Scouting activities and camping trips of less than 72 hours in duration must have a Medical Form Part A and B filed with the troop. Download it here: 

A pre-participation physical, aka Part C, is needed for events that last 72 hours or more. Part C must be filled out by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. Part C is valid through the end of the 12th month from the date it was administered by your medical provider. That means if the physical was July 2, 2022, it will be valid until July 30, 2023.